The Committee of Education and Transparency (CETC) is trying, but their efforts and recommendations are not supported by the Board
Background: this committee was created some months ago by Board President, Steve Spanier, who also serves as the committee’s liaison, to bring Education and Transparency of Community issues to the membership.
In February, the CETC recommended that the Board hold a Town Hall Meeting on the OGC issue and this recommendation was approved by the Board at the March Open Meeting. The CETC recommended a neutral presentation of the pros and cons of a golf course purchase, what scenarios are being considered, and how these will impact home values and dues.
Yesterday, at the May 9 CETC Meeting, the committee members discussed if the April 16th Town Hall met their objectives. These were their comments:
- Felt that it was not a neutral venue, especially when a majority of the Board voiced their support thus indicating they had already decided
- Wished more pros and cons of a purchase were presented; wanted more facts
- Were disappointed in the reporting in the Oakmont News – felt that the article skewed the perception of overwhelming support of a purchase and did not report on the concerns raised
- Did not address any financial considerations of both a purchase or non-purchase
- Did not address what OVA’s future would look like if OVA purchases the courses/land
The majority consensus was that the Town Hall DID NOT give the community the information it needs to make a decision on the golf course issue. So…
The Committee voted to recommend that the Board present a Workshop on OVA Financials and the impact of OGC acquisition. They wish it to be held prior to any offer to purchase the golf course because, in their mission for facts and transparency, they feel the membership needs to know the implications of such a purchase. What will be the financial impacts to the OVA and individual members?
I have attended many CETC meetings and am impressed with their desire to give the membership the facts. I hope the Board will honor future efforts of this committee, including the recommended Financial Workshop on OVA Finances. The Board did not do so for the April 16 OGC Town Hall.
I would encourage members to attend this committee meeting, held on the 2nd Thursday of each month at 10 am in the OVA Manager’s Conference room, to show support for education and transparency.